Join Our Community!

News and Events

Vote IAR for 'Best of the Triangle'

Show your love for Independent Animal Rescue by voting IAR for Best Organization to Adopt a Pet in Independent Weekly’s ‘Best of the Triangle’ survey.  It's simple:

Go to:

Category: Place or organization to adopt a pet (under Services 2014)

Vote for "Independent Animal Rescue”. 

The deadline to vote is April 20. Thank you!

Thank You!

Thanks to everyone, runners and donors, who supported IAR in this year's Great Human Race. IAR was the highest overall fundraiser, raising more than $23,000, and our own Mary Dow won the top individual honors, raising over $4,000 on her own!

If you missed the event, you can donate through the month of April on our Great Human Race fundraising page.

Thank you again from all of us, human and animal, here at Independent Animal Rescue. Our work would not be possible without you.

[Read More]

Join us for a New Volunteer Orientation

We hold New Volunteer Orientations on the 2nd Saturday of every month for anyone interested in learning more about what we do. You'll learn about fostering and the many other ways you can help homeless and less fortunate animals in the Triangle.

Next Orientation: Saturday, May 10th @ 11am
Please RSVP to for directions if you plan to attend.

Can't attend this month's orientation? Click Here for a Calendar of scheduled Orientations and other events, or fill out a Volunteer Interest Form online and we'll contact you with more information.

Meet Our Pets

Click a choice for details.

Join our Mailing List
* indicates required

Forever Homes

Congratulations to Firefox, Hershey, Mr Harley, Clary, Amigo, Cassidy, Nori, FudgePop, Yoda, Grayson, Niko, Chameleon , Laurel, Dolce, Storm, Juno, Marie, Nugget, Aimee, and Radar for finding their forever homes! Can you find a place in your heart for one of our other IAR animals?

Did You Know: Only about 80% of cats have the gene that allows them to respond to the effects of catnip. The other 20% are not affected by it.
Independent Animal Rescue
Post Office Box 14232, Durham, NC 27709-4232